Earn Professional Development CLUs and/or Graduate Credits Toward your Louisiana License Renewal with our Self-Paced Online Professional Development Courses.
Teach & Kids Learn (TKL) Academic Credit/ University Partnered Courses are acceptable for Louisiana teacher license renewal and Professional Development requirement hours according to The Louisiana Department of Education.
- State Re-Certification CLU Clock Hour Option – Louisiana teachers may use our state re-certification option from our registration page where you will be provided a listing of comprehensive online courses that will earn educators either 30 or 45 Clock Hours. Clock hours may be used toward meeting the 150 professional development CLUs needed by Louisiana. You can now register for our courses at any time. When you register for one of our self-paced courses you will have up to 4 months from the date of registration to complete your course. Since these courses are completely self-paced the amount of time to complete it will be dependent on how much time you put into it on a regular basis. Most teachers are able to finish their course within a 4 week period.
1 Clock Hour = 1 CLU
We always recommend that you follow any pre-approval requirements in your district before you register for courses. However, many teachers have been successful using our courses to advance on their district’s salary scale—and have typically been able to use our university/college-level course offerings.
Please contact us if you need assistance with the submission of your district approval forms, course syllabus, etc.
Reinstatement of Certification
Louisiana teachers who need to renew a lapsed certificate must provide evidence of earning six semester hours of coursework at an accredited college or university.
If you have a period of five consecutive calendar years in which you served as a teacher of record for at least 90 consecutive days, your Louisiana teaching certificate is considered to have lapsed. In order to have your certificate reinstated, you must prove that you have completed six approved semester hours of coursework.
- Graduate Credits Option: Teach & Kids Learn (TKL) provides accredited university graduate credits courses. We provide official transcripts. and letter grades upon the successful completion of your selected course. When selecting your course, choose any of our Graduate Credit level courses from our registration page.
Before your certificate will be reinstated, you must file using the renewal form, pay the reinstatement fee, and provide all official college transcript(s) proving you have completed these courses.
The coursework must meet the following requirements:
- Teachers with multiple certification areas may complete coursework specific to any of their certification areas.
- Coursework must be reflected on an official transcript from a regionally accredited institution.
- Coursework must be gained within the five-year period immediately preceding reinstatement of the certificate.
- Coursework cannot be a repeat of prior coursework shown on a transcript unless the student failed or earned a “D” in the course.
- All final approval of coursework is made by the Division of Certification, Preparation, & Recruitment.
- A lapsed certificate may be reactivated for a period of one year, during which time the holder of the certificate is required to complete six semester credit hours of coursework.
1 Graduate Credit = 1 Semester Hour.
To extend an expired certificate you must have the LA employing district apply by submitting a completed Certification Update Packet & the appropriate certification fee. If the certificate which has expired is a Level 2 or 3 certificate, the Louisiana employing district must verify 150 CLUs of district-approved professional development by using the Certification Update Packet to request an extension. If the teacher has not accumulated the appropriate CLUs, the expired certificate may be reactivated upon request of the employing authority for a period of one year, during which time the certificate holder must present evidence of successful completion of the required 150 CLUs. Failure to complete CLUs during the one-year reactivation period will result in an expired certificate that cannot be reinstated until the CLUs are completed & verified by the employing district. Approved Courses (PDF) to reinstate lapsed certificates.
For more information, visit the Louisiana Department of Education website.