Dr. Karen Tankersley
Dr. Karen Tankersley, a long time educator, is a content developer with Teach n’ Kids Learn (TKL). She works with school districts across the U.S. on school improvement and professional development activities, and has an extensive background in curriculum, assessment, effective instruction and leadership.
Karen has teaching experience at all grades from 2 through the post-graduate level, and is an expert in literacy, curriculum and school reform. She served for 13 years as a principal in schools recognized nationally for their outstanding achievement and high academic performance. She also served 7 years as Assistant Superintendent of Academic Services in several public and charter districts, where she supervised special education services and trained teachers in meeting the needs of all students in the general education classroom.
Karen holds a Bachelor of Arts in English, a Master of Arts in Reading, and a Ph.D. in Educational Leadership. She has endorsements in special education and gifted education.
Karen is also a prolific writer and has published articles in several educational journals, including Educational Leadership. She is the author of the following books:
- Threads of Reading: Strategies for Literacy Development (ASCD, 2003)
- Literacy Strategies for Grades 4-12: Reinforcing the Threads of Reading (ASCD, 2005)
- Tests that Teach: Using Standardized Tests to Improve Instruction (ASCD, 2007)
- Childhood Obesity: Helping Children Lead Fit and Healthy Lives (Little John, 2011)
- Coaching the Threads of Reading: Helping Teachers Build Reading Success (Little John, 2012)
- How to Help Your Child Become a Great Reader: Easy Literacy Games and Activities to Do at Home (Little John, 2012).