Florida educators must be certified to teach in our public schools and in many of our private schools. Educators include classroom teachers, school administrators, and other support professionals, such as guidance counselors and media specialists
- Six (6) semester hours of college credit to include at least one (1) semester hour in teaching students with disabilities (SWD) must be earned during each renewal period to renew your certificate. See information below on Acceptable College Credit Equivalencies for Renewal, Appropriate Topics for Renewal Credit, and retaining all subjects on your certificate.
- Renewal requirements must be completed during the last validity period of the Professional Certificate and prior to expiration of the Professional Certificate. It is the responsibility of each applicant to obtain current information regarding renewal requirements from the employing school district or Bureau of Educator Certification.
- The application form and appropriate fee must be submitted during the last year of the validity period of the certificate and prior to the expiration of the Professional Certificate. However, a late renewal application may be submitted after expiration of the Professional Certificate if the following criteria are met:
- Appropriate renewal requirements, including the requirement for credit in teaching SWD, are completed prior to expiration of the Professional Certificate, and
- Renewal application form, application fee, and additional $30.00 late fee are submitted to the Bureau of Educator Certification prior to July 1 of the year following expiration of the certificate.
- College level credits used for certificate renewal must be awarded by an accredited or approved institution (Word), or the American Council on Education (ACE), and must be reflected on an official transcript. You may view a list of Florida’s accredited state universities and state colleges and community colleges.
- College level credit for CLEP, DANTES Subject Standardized Test, Excelsior, other examination, life experience, or other method must be reflected on an official transcript from an accredited or approved institution (Word), or the American Council on Education (ACE).
- College remedial credit is not acceptable.
- A grade of at least “C” must be earned in each college course used for renewal. A grade of “pass” or “satisfactory” is an acceptable grade.
- In the event a subject is deleted from the certificate at the request of the certificate holder or due to noncompletion of renewal requirements, all requirements which are in effect when an application is submitted to add the subject to the certificate again must be completed.
1 Graduate Credit = 1 Semester Credit
For more information, visit the Florida Department of Education website.